Now is a good time to sign up for the IHG credit card. A new sign up offer which gives you 80.000 IHG Rewards points if you spend only $1,000 in three months emerged. Usually, you get 60.000 IHG Rewards points for the same card.
This is pretty low compared to some high-end cards which require you to spend $3,000 in three months. The card comes with some great bonuses.
Here the list:
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points when you add your first authorized user and make your first purchase in the first three months from account opening.
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent after you stay at an IHG hotel.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations, grocery stores & restaurants.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at over 5,000 hotels worldwide.
- Platinum Elite status as long as you’re a Select credit cardmember.
- Automatic 10% point rebate on redemptions. Get 10% back when you redeem your points, up to 100,000 points each year.
- You will pay no foreign transaction fees when you use your card for purchases made outside the United States.
- Shell Fuel Rewards*: 6 cents per gallon for every fill-up for Platinum Elite (included with the credit card), 7 cents if you reach Spire Elite status
The annual fee for this card is a cheap $49 per year and is waived for the first year.
If you use your free night award wisely, the $49 annual fee can give you a $300 or more room for free (well basically $49). This is a great value and everyone should have this card in the wallet. Also getting up to 100,000 points back for using points on free night stays is not bad either. This will give you more free nights.
Update 100,000 Points
I just learned that there is a targeted offer available. People reported seeing 100,000 points offer after signing into their IHG account. If you just signed up for the 80,000 points promotion, like me, don’t worry.
Sign in to your Chase.com account and send the customer service a secured message that you would like to get matched with the higher offer. I did that and within 24 hours I had the confirmation that they will match me to the 100,000 points offer.
The 100,000 points offer is slightly different. You have to spend $2,000 in the first three months of account opening. This offer is only valid for people who never had the IHG select credit card before.
Once you spent your first $1,000 on the IHG credit card the 80,000 points will automatically post do your account. Now once you reached $2,000 in spend in the first three months, contact Chase again through your online account on chase.com and they will add the additional 20,000 points.
I am super impressed how easy it was to get matched to the higher offer and how great Chase handles this type of requests. I am looking forward to a long and lasting relationship. The IHG card, as it is now, will be in my portfolio forever. Where else can you get a night for an outstanding IHG property for just $49? Make sure you use your free night certificate every year, otherwise it will expire.
IHG last accelerate promotion gave me a free night certificate and I almost missed out on using it. Where did I use it? I used it at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins in San Francisco. Real all about it here.
Peter has a passion for Traveling, Photography, and Geocaching. These are the best ingredients for amazing adventures all over the globe. “Traveling is fun, no matter if you stay in a luxury hotel or travel like a backpacker.” Peter shares his experiences on his Blog www.gatetoadventures.com
Some of Peter’s photos are published on corporate websites, in-flight magazines, travel guides, and much more.